Monday 15 October 2007

"You're hired!"

Ring!! Ring!! (for want of improved onomatopoeia) goes the phone when I am sitting at my desk at home contemplating that interview with Julia and whoever the other one was. Expecting no more than a pointlessly demoralising message from a call centre in Central Asia, I grab tiredly at the handset, pushed the relevant button and pressed the phone to my ear. "'Ullo?" I groan down the line.

Already starting to remove the phone from my ear, a female voice calls back: "Hello, is this Torquer?"

Strange, she seems to know my full real name and, and that voice seems oddly familiar.

"Yes, this is," I reply, now significantly intrigued.

"Hi Torquer, its Julia from the museum. Not Mavis, I was the one with the short white skirt, tight fitting black top and luscious flowing brown hair, remember?"

"How could I forget?" I answer - but seriously, how could I really forget after spending 40 minutes in the same room with that woman?

"Glad you remember. Well, I am very pleased to offer you a job at the museum. The practical element really swayed your application. I will be your new manager, should you choose to accept."

"I do accept indeed, thank you very much Julia."

"Brilliant. When do you want to start?" she giggles.

"How about this weekend?"

"Eager are we? That's fine. Come to my office at 9:30 on Saturday then. You'll have to try on your new uniform and complete the first part of your extensive training. I look forward to seeing you, Torquer."

"Likewise you, Julia. 9:30 it is then."

And the date is sealed. Saturday 13th October is when I start.

3 comments:

The Usual Stuff said...

According to Dr. Cameron, you do have the right to sexually harass your boss.

Take advantage of this opportunity to skip the obstacles of the rat-race and climb to the top!

(Whether that's Rachel's top or organization's top is up to you)

Torquer said...

She'll always be on top...

The Usual Stuff said...

Uuuhhh! Now that sounds like fun!

By the way, congratulations on getting the job.